Collection UQFL211 - Lund, Hutton, Ryan, Morton Records

Identity area

Reference code

UQFL211

Title

Lund, Hutton, Ryan, Morton Records

Date(s)

  • [1893-1972] (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

68 boxes, 7 parcels, ca. 5093 plans.

Context area

Name of creator

Administrative history

Lund Hutton Ryan Morton was the last manifestation of the Brisbane architectural practice, which can trace its origins back to the partnership Chambers and Powell in 1911. Over time the practice was known as Chambers and Ford, Ford Hutton Newell, Lund Hutton Newell Paulsen, and Lund Hutton Newell Black Paulsen. The firm closed in the 1980s.

Name of creator

(1861-1947)

Biographical history

Claude Chambers was an architect. Born and educated in Melbourne, he worked for the Mansfield Brothers in Melbourne before joining architects Blackman and Parks in Sydney. Chambers moved to Brisbane in 1885 to work for Government architect Francis Stanley. Three years later, he played a key role in the foundation of the Queensland Institute of Architects, for which he was both a founding member and first secretary. In 1889 Chambers became the Brisbane partner of Sydney firm, A.L & G McCredie. When the partnership dissolved in 1892 he began working as a sole practitioner. Later partnerships included Chambers and Powell (1911-1920), Chambers and Ford (1920-1951) and a Sydney-based partnership, Chambers and Hutton (1931-1934). He produced architecture for both Brisbane and Sydney including commercial buildings, warehouses and wharf buildings.

Name of creator

(1884-1938)

Biographical history

Lange Leopold Powell (1886-1938), architect, was born on 2 July 1886 at Rockhampton, one of the children of William Powell, Methodist minister and his second wife Mary Ellen, née Zillman. Following his schooling, he was articled to Addison & Corrie, architects and attended Brisbane Technical College. He briefly worked for C. W. Chambers and the Public Works Department and went to London in 1908. There he worked for Belcher & Co. Powell married Maud Gertrude Moore at Murtoa, Victoria, on 19 April 1911.
His Brisbane partnerships included Chambers & Powell (1911-21), Powell & Hutton (1922-25) and Atkinson, Powell & Conrad (1927-31). The latter firm was appointed architect to the Brisbane and South Coast Hospital Board in 1926. St Martin's War Memorial Hospital (opened in 1922) is Powell's best-known work, and he himself considered it one of his best designs. He was grand architect for the Masonic Temple, Brisbane (1928).
Powell was an active member and office bearer of the Queensland Institute of Architects and the federal council of the Australian Institute of Architects. With Sir Charles Rosenthal he drafted the constitution of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects (1930). He died in 1938.

Name of creator

(1883-1958)

Biographical history

Eric Marshall Ford was born in Great Britain in ca. 1883. He worked in South Africa and served in the First World War. He migrated to Australia and worked as the office manager of Chambers and Powell. After Chambers and Powell dissolved in 1920, Chambers formed a partnership with Eric Ford. Chambers and Ford practiced in Brisbane from 1920 (until 1951), completing several churches. From 1935, Ford continued the partnership alone until 1951 when Theodore Hutton and Peter Newell joined him in partnership.

Name of creator

(1916-)

Biographical history

Theodore Hutton worked for Chambers and Ford before it became Ford, Hutton and Newell. Hutton went into partnership with Eric Marshall Ford and Peter Newell. It operated from 1951-1959. In 1959 the firm became Lund, Hutton & Newell (Neville Lund, Theo Hutton and Peter Newell) and from 1960 as Lund, Hutton, Newell, Black & Paulsen (Neville Lund, Theo Hutton, Peter Newell, Ian Black, and Bruce Paulsen).

Name of creator

(1916-2010)

Biographical history

Peter Newell was an Australian architect and architectural critic with a special interest in domestic architecture. He as born in Melbourne and graduated with a Bachelor of Architecture from the University of Melbourne. During World War II he served with the Australian Army Engineers. In 1945 he married Betty Thelander. Moving to Queensland after the war, Newell worked for Addison and McDonald for a short period. He then worked for Chambers and Ford, which became Ford, Hutton and Newell in 1951. The partnership existed between 1951-1975. In the 1960s Newell lectured at the University of Queensland and took a Masters in Architecture degree from this University in 1988. He has been credited with influencing the modernist movement and the design of modernist homes in Queensland. He died on 21 May 2010 in Brisbane.

Name of creator

(1926-)

Biographical history

Bruce Donald Paulsen received his Diploma in Architecture from the University of Queensland in 1948. He was an architect with the firm Lund Hutton, Newell, Paulsen Pty Ltd.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Architect, partner of the firm Lund Hutton Newell circa 1960. In 1964, he established his own practice in Townsville, Ian Black and Company.

Name of creator

Biographical history

English-born architect John Morton arrived in Brisbane in 1957 and became part of the firm Lund Hutton Newell Black and Paulsen, eventually becoming a partner. He designed a number of heritage-listed high rise apartment blocks for the firm, including Kinkabool in Surfers Paradise, and Glenfalloch in New Farm.

Name of creator

(1889-1962)

Biographical history

Architect Harry Lawrence started his career with J. Marks and Sons of Toowoomba in 1906 before moving into government work prior to WWI in which he served as an Acting Corporal in the 18th Infantry. He moved between various architectural practices in NSW and Queensland following the war, including working for the Commonwealth government for a time as an architect to the War Service Homes Commission.

Name of creator

(1895-1952)

Biographical history

Sidney William Prior (1895-1952) was an architect in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. He was born in Croydon, London, England, the son of William Edward Prior and his wife Alice Mildred (née Bigg). He emigrated to Australia with his family in 1909. Prior studied construction and drawing at the Brisbane Central Technical College in 1913 before serving in the First World War. He established his architectural practice in Brisbane in 1923. A large proportion of Prior's work was domestic, though he designed Hesketh House in Elizabeth Street, additions to the Jennings Rubber Company Building in Fortitude Valley and the Davies Park Speedway at Bowen Hills. In 1940 he designed the Redcliffe Town Council Chambers.
Prior died in Brisbane on Thursday 31 January 1952.

Name of creator

(1901-)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1912-)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1911-1920)

Administrative history

Chambers and Powell was a Brisbane architectural practice founded in 1911 by Claude William Chambers and Lange Leopold Powell. Born and educated in Melbourne, Chambers moved to Brisbane in 1885 after working for architects Blackman and Parks in Sydney. In 1888 he played a key role in the foundation of the Queensland Institute of Architects where he was both a founding member and first secretary. Queensland born and educated Powell was both an architect with an interest in interior design and an accomplished artist. During his partnership with Chambers, Powell was honorary secretary of the Queensland Institute of Architects. The partnership of Chambers and Powell operated until 1920,

Name of creator

(1920-1951)

Administrative history

Chambers and Ford was a Brisbane architecture firm founded in 1920 by Claude William Chambers and Eric Marshall Ford. It was established after the partnership of Chambers and Powell was dissolved. Chambers had moved to Brisbane in 1885 to work for Government architect Francis Stanley. In 1888 he played a key role in the foundation of the Queensland Institute of Architects where he was both a founding member and first secretary. Ford was the office manager of Chambers and Powell and had worked as an architect in South Africa. Together, Chambers and Ford completed several churches in varying architectural styles, including St Margaret’s Anglican Church in Sandgate (1927) and the Holy Trinity Church in Woolloongabba (1930). Although in name the partnership formally continued until 1951, from 1935 Ford ran the practice alone, employing local architects E.J. Hayes and C.R. Scott who would later form the acclaimed Queensland partnership, Hayes and Scott.

Name of creator

(1951-1959)

Administrative history

This architectural practice consisted of Eric Marshall Ford, Theodore Hutton and Peter Newell. Prior to the formation of this firm, E. M. Ford had been in the architectural practice of Chambers and Ford. In 1959, Ford, Hutton & Newell was taken over as Lund, Hutton and Newell (which only lasted a year before being known, in 1960, as Lund, Hutton, Newell, Black and Paulsen).

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Archival history

Collection previously titled as: Records, [1893-1972]
Collection alternatively titled as: Lund, Hutton, Ryan, Morton Collection.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Drawings of residential and commercial buildings, and related files.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Unrestricted access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Publication note

Material from this collection has been cited in:
Main, Amanda, 2019. 150 years 1869 - 2019: Holy Trinity Woolloongabba. Woolloongabba, Qld: Holy Trinity.

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Migrated

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Migrated from LMS: April 2019, P.A.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area