Print preview Close

Showing 176 results

Archival description
Subseries English
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Job A24 Staff House, University of Queensland

On 11 November 1958, Harrison Bryan, University Librarian and Honorary Secretary of the Staff Association communicated to the Registrar of the intention to have Staff House, similar to what existed at other Australian Universities. After Birrell commenced work as the University Architect in July 1961, he produced several designs of varying budgets. However site selection, funding, its low priority and frequent delays in construction did not see the building completed until after Birrell resigned as University Architect in March 1966. The building was completed by his replacement, Mr. K.S. Crump. On 20th April 1966 the club was formally invited to occupy the Staff House. Due to the volume of work done by Birrell, he was offered Honorary Life Membership and the Common Room was renamed the James Birrell Room.
There are five drawings with the Job no. A24, dated 1964. Three drawings are by James Birrell and Partners from 1966, 1971 and 1974. Some drawings have no title block information. Most drawings are by other contractors.

New Guinea history research papers.

Papers collected and organised for the purpose of writing the book Masked Eden. Papers include correspondence, newspaper cuttings, local news bulletins, typed manuscripts of stories, statements, copies of military records and some administrative records and photographs. Some correspondents in this subseries are also represented in Series B.

War Damage Commission papers.

Documents relating to a claim by Stan McCosker and Walford King to the War Damage Commission for compensation for damage to the Matala Plantation in New Britain during the Japanese military occupation of New Guinea.

Stan McCosker papers.

Papers of Anne McCosker's father, Stan McCosker, including correspondence, business records, court documents, maps, photographs and drafts of articles.

Correspondence - Frederick William Scott Martin.

Letters written to family by Frederick (Fred) William Scott Martin while Martin was serving with the Australian Imperial Force in Australia, Egypt, Gallipoli, the United Kingdom and finally the Western Front from 1915 to 1917. Martin was Anne McCosker's uncle. The letters were published by McCosker in Lieutenant Martin's Letters (2013).

Correspondence - personal.

Personal correspondence both incoming and outgoing, mostly relating to Anne McCosker's research on the history of Australians in the colonial territory of New Guinea and her book Masked Eden.

Job A41 Boatshed, University of Queensland

The Boat Club of the University of Queensland was established in 1911. Referred to as a shed in the working drawings, Birrell designed a simple building to function as an amenities building for The Boat Club. These plans were designed for submission to the Australian Universities Commission in 1965. It is located between Sir William Macgregor Drive and the Brisbane River. It is now called the Eric Freeman Boathouse. Eric Freeman, attained a Bachelor of Engineering from the University of Queensland and was a valued member of the Varsity Eight (rowing) from 1921 to 1924. This file includes:
[Item 1] Boat garage sketch plan (May 1964).
[Item 2] Portal frame diagram (29 Feb 1966).
[Item 3] Job no. A41 Boat Shed Working Drawings; 8 architectural drawings; stapled together; numbered sequentially A41/1 to A41/7, with A41/5A; dated Nov 1965; drawn by J. Kershaw; University Architect is J.P. Birrell.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Results 1 to 10 of 176