Print preview Close

Showing 169 results

Archival description
Subseries English
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Speeches and reports

This subseries contains speeches and reports by (or attributed to) Oodgeroo Noonuccal in the 1960s, 1970s and early 1980s.

Correspondence: Schools and Universities

Letters from children, high school and tertiary students and teachers and academics, mostly from Australia. Letters from Universities include inviting her to attend functions, be a guest speaker, comment on indigenous issues.

Correspondence: Personal

This subseries comprises correspondence regarding personal finances, letters from family and friends, solicitors, cards, and postcards

University Colleges, Townsville and Mt Gravatt

In 1957, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Queensland, Professor James Douglas Story, proposed a regional university college be established. This desire came to fruition on 27 February 1961 when the University College of Townsville was opened. This college became the James Cook University of North Queensland on 29 April 1970 and is now known as James Cook University.

In 1965 430 acres of bushland was set aside for a new campus in Brisbane's south in the suburb Nathan. Initially this was to be a University college of the University of Queensland but by September 1971 it was established as Griffith University.

Birrell was asked by the Co-Ordinator General of the Public Works to draw up plans for both colleges. The majority of these plans have the title block for the University of Queensland and James Birrell as the UQ Architect. This subseries contains plans for the University Colleges, Townsville (22 plans) and Mt Gravatt (23 plans).

Birrell, James, 1928-

Job A2 Main Library alterations, University of Queensland

Main Library was part of the Great Court buildings designed by Hennessy and Hennessy in 1935-1936. It consisted of two floors with a glass ceiling in the light well in the centre. Main Building was designed to be extended with an additional three floors, with high ceilings and a large light well in the centre. When the Library had insufficient space for students and books it was decided to go ahead with the extension of three more floors, as specified by Hennessy and Hennessy. Birrell proposed five additional floors instead of the three, the installation of passenger lifts, fluorescent lighting, and air-conditioning. Birrell was responsible for the internal arrangement and finishes. This file comprises 15 plans for alterations and additions to Main Library. Includes: sketch of lower ground floor (now Level 1), working drawings for 1st to 5th floors (now Level 3 to Level 7), stair details and compactus shelving.

Main Library was later known as Undergraduate Library; with the construction of Central Library in 1971 its name was changed to Duhig Building; and later, around 2000, to Duhig Tower.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Student Union Precinct, University of Queensland

There are two architectural drawings, ink on paper, with the title The Union which may form part of the pilot plans for an extension to The Union Building which Birrell designed in 1962. There are 14 drawings for the Master Planning Report upon the Student Union Precinct University of Queensland, which was produced by Birrell and assistant architect Richard Stringer. This report was submitted to the Buildings and Grounds Committee in March 1966. 12 of these 14 drawings have the University of Queensland title block with J.P. Birrell as University Architect. Included with these drawings, which form part of the master plan for the precinct, are several designs for a Union Theatre. There are two pencil drawings related to the Union Theatre, without title, date, or creators. All plans are undated.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Correspondence from Parents, Bill and Lila Mayo

William McArthur Mayo (Bill) and Eliza Mary (Lila), née Saxelby corresponded frequently with their daughter Daphne. Sometimes both parents would write individual letters to Daphne on the same day, at other times they would each write in the same letter, and they would also write to her individually. There are approximately 1422 items of correspondence in this subseries dating from 1919 to 1959. Bill would often write about financial matters including Daphne's rental property in Brisbane. Occasionally Lilia would get the date wrong and, if discernible, this date has been corrected in pencil on the letter. As Lila's health deteriorated, her handwritten became more difficult to read.

Mayo, William McArthur, 1868-1954

Correspondence, Friends and family

Over 1220 letters, postcards, cards, lettercards and telegrams from friends and family (other than Daphne Mayo's parents). Correspondents include: Lloyd Rees, some with or by his wife, Majorie Rees; Vida Lahey; Edith Lahey; Dr Christine Rivett; Walter Taylor; Nell Mary Lette Hubble; Mim Shaw; and Ina Rivers.

Results 1 to 10 of 169