Collection UQFL228 - Conrad and Gargett Architectural Drawings

Identity area

Reference code

UQFL228

Title

Conrad and Gargett Architectural Drawings

Date(s)

  • 1890-1986 (Creation)

Level of description

Collection

Extent and medium

ca. 1850 plans.

Context area

Name of creator

(1890-)

Administrative history

Charles McLay became Henry Atkinson’s first partner in 1907 and their partnership flourished with both residential and commercial work. Arnold Conrad joined the firm in 1912, with Brenan Gargett joining the firm just before the start of the First World War. Upon Charles McLay’s death, Arnold Conrad became Atkinson’s new partner, and Brenan Garget became a full partner in 1939 after Henry Atkinson retired. The architectural work of the firm includes Trades Hall, McWhirter and Son, Craigston Apartments, the Courier Mail Building, and the Empire (later St. James) Theatre in Albert Street.

Name of creator

(1887-1979)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1898-1975)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1866-1938)

Biographical history

Brisbane-based architect, foundation student at Brisbane Central Technical College and employee of the Queensland Government from 1882 to 1890. From 1890 he worked as an architect, forming the partnership H.W. Atkinson and Chas. McLay in 1907. Later partnerships were Atkinson and Conrad (1918-1927), Atkinson, Powell and Conrad (1927-1931), and Atkinson and Conrad (1931-1937). He retired from practice in 1937.

Name of creator

(1860-1918)

Biographical history

Architect Charles McLay was born near Stirling, Scotland in 1860. After training as an architect in his home country, he moved to Australia, arriving in Brisbane in 1885 where he was initially employed as a Draftsman by the Queensland Government. He worked as a lecturer and examiner at Brisbane Central Technical College between 1895 and 1901 and held various positions in professional associations in Queensland from 1900. In 1907, he entered into a partnership with H.W. Atkinson, a practice which was a forerunner of Conrad and Gargett. McLay remained a partner in the practice until his death in 1918.

Name of creator

(1930-)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1932-2014)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1915-)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1868-1920)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1879-1950)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1907-2002)

Biographical history

Architect Aubrey Job was born in Brisbane in 1907. In 1946 he formed a partnership with Charles Fulton as part of the practice Fulton, Job, and Collin. From 1954 until his retirement in 1974 he was in partnership with Robert Froud as Job and Froud Architects. The firm was responsible for the design of the Torbreck Apartments in Highgate Hill. Job died in 2002.

Name of creator

(1910-)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1906-1988)

Biographical history

Charles Fulton was born in Sydney in 1906. In 1933 he settled in Brisbane and was employed by his brother in law, Harold Cook of Hall and Cook. In 1934 he formed a partnership with John Patrick Donoghue. That partnership dissolved in 1946 and he formed a new practice with James Musgrave Collin and Aubrey Job under the name Job Collin & Fulton which operated from 1946 to 1956. From 1961 to 1966 he was a partner in Fulton Collin Boys Gilmour Trotter & Partners and then from 1966 to 1981 he was a partner in Fulton Collin & Partners. As well as having several of his works listed on the Queensland Heritage Register, Charlie Fulton also taught architecture for over 30 years with at the Brisbane Central Technical College (later the Queensland University of Technology). He died in 1988.

Name of creator

(1907-1974)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1906-1983)

Biographical history

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1901-1968)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1917-1994)

Biographical history

Francis Richard Hall was born in Brisbane on 25 November 1917, child of Alfred John Hall and Mary Frances (nee Byrne). Francis Hall was a member of a noted Brisbane architectural family, grandson of Francis Richard Hall (1862-1934), and great grandson of John Hall (1835-1883). He was registered as an architect in Queensland and New South Wales in 1944 and in the United Kingdom in 1962. He studied abroad in Europe and England and between 1949 and 1978 he was employed by the Queensland Works Department working on the restoration and preservation of public buildings of historical significance. He retired to England in 1978 where he was architectural consultant to Queensland House, London.

Name of creator

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1901-)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1858-1954)

Biographical history

George Brockwell Gill was born in London and completed his architectural training in England before emigrating to Australia in 1886 and settling in Ipswich. He began working with the architect Samuel Shenton, and took over his practice when Shenton retired in 1889. Gill was elected an Associate of the Queensland Institute of Architects in 1904 and a Fellow by 1913. He was the Institute's vice-president in 1914-16 and president in 1918-19. His outstanding works in Ipswich include: the Cribb and Foote department store (1911), the City View Hotel (1908), and the Solders' Memorial Hall (1922). Gill retired in 1943 and his practice was taken over by the Brisbane firm of Conrad and Gargett. Gill died on 1 June 1954.

Name of creator

(1861-1947)

Biographical history

Claude Chambers was an architect. Born and educated in Melbourne, he worked for the Mansfield Brothers in Melbourne before joining architects Blackman and Parks in Sydney. Chambers moved to Brisbane in 1885 to work for Government architect Francis Stanley. Three years later, he played a key role in the foundation of the Queensland Institute of Architects, for which he was both a founding member and first secretary. In 1889 Chambers became the Brisbane partner of Sydney firm, A.L & G McCredie. When the partnership dissolved in 1892 he began working as a sole practitioner. Later partnerships included Chambers and Powell (1911-1920), Chambers and Ford (1920-1951) and a Sydney-based partnership, Chambers and Hutton (1931-1934). He produced architecture for both Brisbane and Sydney including commercial buildings, warehouses and wharf buildings.

Name of creator

(1884-1938)

Biographical history

Lange Leopold Powell (1886-1938), architect, was born on 2 July 1886 at Rockhampton, one of the children of William Powell, Methodist minister and his second wife Mary Ellen, née Zillman. Following his schooling, he was articled to Addison & Corrie, architects and attended Brisbane Technical College. He briefly worked for C. W. Chambers and the Public Works Department and went to London in 1908. There he worked for Belcher & Co. Powell married Maud Gertrude Moore at Murtoa, Victoria, on 19 April 1911.
His Brisbane partnerships included Chambers & Powell (1911-21), Powell & Hutton (1922-25) and Atkinson, Powell & Conrad (1927-31). The latter firm was appointed architect to the Brisbane and South Coast Hospital Board in 1926. St Martin's War Memorial Hospital (opened in 1922) is Powell's best-known work, and he himself considered it one of his best designs. He was grand architect for the Masonic Temple, Brisbane (1928).
Powell was an active member and office bearer of the Queensland Institute of Architects and the federal council of the Australian Institute of Architects. With Sir Charles Rosenthal he drafted the constitution of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects (1930). He died in 1938.

Name of creator

(1901-1972)

Biographical history

Name of creator

(1858-1922)

Biographical history

G.H.M. Addison was an architect and painter working in Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane between 1884 and 1922. In partnership as Terry, Oakden and Addison / Oakden, Addison and Kemp, architects in Melbourne and Brisbane, 1886-1897; Addison and Corrie, architects and valuers in Brisbane, 1898-1905; Addison and Hassall, architects in Brisbane, 1906-1907. Formed partnership with son George Frederick Addison, G.M.H. Addison and Son in 1919. Died in 1922.

Name of creator

(1928-1940)

Administrative history

George Henry Male Addison partnered with son George Frederick Addison in 1919 to form G.H.M. Addison and Son. Addison Senior died in 1922. Addison Junior joined with Herbert Stanley MacDonald in 1928 to form G.H.M. Addison and Son and H.S. MacDonald.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

(1907-1918)

Administrative history

Brisbane-based architectural practice of Henry Wallace Atkinson and Charles McLay.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

(1909-2000)

Biographical history

Roderic Walter Voller (1909 - 2000), the son of Brisbane architect Water Carey Voller and his wife Ellen (nee Harwood) was born in Brisbane in 1909. He studied architecture at the Central Technical College Brisbane from 1927 to 1931, working as an articled pupil for his father. Upon completion of his studies Voller went to England and worked for Oliver Percy Bernard until 1938. That year he was admitted as an Associate into the Royal British Institute of Architects. He married Joan (nee Scott) in 1938 and they moved to Australia the same year. Becoming an Associate of the Royal Australian Institute of Architects in 1939, Voller established himself as an architect in Brisbane. Rod Voller was in private architectural practice in Brisbane with C.E. Plant from 1938 to 1941. From 1944 to 1946 he worked as an Assistant Architect at the Brisbane City Council. He and his second cousin, Ronald James Voller set up practice in Queen Street in 1946 as Voller & Voller. This practice became The Architects Group and Roderic Voller stayed there until 1949. He also worked as a part time resident architect for the University of Queensland on urgent accommodation from 1947 to 1948. Voller was in partnership with John Kershaw from 1958 to 1974. He received the Member of the Order of Australia Award for service to architecture and the community in 1989. While semi-retired he continued to work in private practice at Nambour from 1975 to 1991.

Archival history

Collection previously titled as: Architectural drawings, 1890-1986
Collection alternatively titled as: Conrad & Gargett Collection.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Drawings of residential and commercial buildings in Brisbane and regional Queensland. Collection includes drawings by Atkinson and Conrad, Atkinson, Powell and Conrad, and Atkinson and McLay, together with plans by other architects, including George Brockwell Gill, C. W. Chambers and Lange Powell.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Unrestricted access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Uploaded finding aid

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Migrated

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Migrated from LMS: April 2019, P.A.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places