Tivoli Theatre (Melbourne, Vic.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Tivoli Theatre (Melbourne, Vic.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence


Located in Bourke Street, Melbourne, the theatre opened as the Prince of Wales Theatre 24 August 1872, the original architect was George Johnson. The site was originally occupied by the Australia Hall built above a stable in 1866. It became known as the Prince of Wales Opera House, renamed Her Majesty's Opera House in September 1884, and renamed the Alhambra Theatre in 1893. After losing its license in 1899, Harry Rickards rebuilt the theatre, designed by William Pitt, which opened as the Opera House 18 May 1901. It was renamed the Tivoli Theatre in 1912 by its new lessee Hugh D. McIntosh and it continued to operate until 1966.


Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points


Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion




Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places