Level of description
Extent and medium
1 folder ; 30 cm.
Name of creator
Located in Bourke Street, Melbourne, the theatre opened as the Prince of Wales Theatre 24 August 1872, the original architect was George Johnson. The site was originally occupied by the Australia Hall built above a stable in 1866. It became known as the Prince of Wales Opera House, renamed Her Majesty's Opera House in September 1884, and renamed the Alhambra Theatre in 1893. After losing its license in 1899, Harry Rickards rebuilt the theatre, designed by William Pitt, which opened as the Opera House 18 May 1901. It was renamed the Tivoli Theatre in 1912 by its new lessee Hugh D. McIntosh and it continued to operate until 1966.
From the Fryer Library Theatre Programs.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
This series contains material such as theatre programs, concert notes, invitations and ephemeral items relating to Australian theatres. Australia Hall 1866, Prince of Wales Theatre 1872, Prince of Wales Opera House, Her Majesty's Opera House 1884-1893, Alhambra Theatre 1893-1899, Opera House 1901-1912, Tivoli Theatre 1912-1966.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Place access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Migrated from LMS: April 2019, P.A.