Cribb Island (Qld.) -- History

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Cribb Island (Qld.) -- History

Equivalent terms

Cribb Island (Qld.) -- History

Associated terms

Cribb Island (Qld.) -- History

1 Archival description results for Cribb Island (Qld.) -- History

1 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Photographs of Cribb Island

  • UQFL498
  • Collection
  • [197-]

Photographs of Cribb Island, circa 1980, taken by local resident John "Jack" Maxwell Ross.

The suburb was situated on Moreton Bay, west of Nudgee Beach, and was locally known as "Cribby". The Queensland Government compulsory acquired the entirety of the suburb between 1970 and 1980 for expansion of the Brisbane Airport. Cribb Island was the first Brisbane suburb to be entirely resumed for development.

Cribb Island had developed as a beachside holiday destination and was a forerunner of the communities of owner-built holiday shacks that would later spring up in many bayside areas. After World War One, a more permanent community emerged on Cribb Island. Historian Jack Ford records that at its height, Crib Island boasted a state school, a convent school, two churches, a post office, a police station, a medical clinic, a kiosk, a cinema and a private bus service.

The 21 photographs document architectural styles, views and street scenes in the suburb's final days.

Ross, John Maxwell, 1914-1989