- 1918-1990 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
1 items, 9 folders
Name of creator
Folder 9 is a Donation from Margaret Collerton. It was previously catalogued as F3703 'Biographical material relating to Muriel Florence Snell Shaw'.
Folder 8 is a Donation from Margaret Maynard.
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Content in this series is mostly created by Muriel Shaw and reflects her work and association with Vida Lahey, Daphne Mayo, the Half Dozen Group of Artists, teaching, and her artistic interests.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
Item 1: Copy of 'Art in Australia : a quarterly journal', Third series number 55, May, 1934 which includes the article 'A group of young painter from the Sydney Art School' in which Mim Shaw was one of the artists. Signed by Pat (Patricia) Prentice.
Folder 1: 59 reproduction prints of art works from Europe, many with the stamp 'M. Foote' on the back.
Folder 2: Typescript by Muriel Shaw of the 'The Kangaroo Point Mentors and the Paint Tree', 1985, 11 leaves. Newspaper cuttings relating to members of the Half Dozen Group of Artistis including John Molvig. Envelope with 'The Kangaroo Pt Mentors' written above Muriel Shaw's address.
Folder 3: Copy of photograph of Bill Bustard’s exhibition opened by Sir John Goodwin at Griffiths Tea Rooms. Oct 1931. Bill Bustard and James Wieneke identified. Envelope addressed to Mrs Shaw containing photograph of 1951 party of some members of the Brisbane Art Group at Haysoms [Melville Haysom]. Identified are L.Pedersen, Mel Haysom, Yvonne Haysom, Dorothy Coleman and L.Phillips by G [George] Wilson Cooper 1 Dec 1984. 3 unidentified.
Folder 4: This folder contains papers regarding Vida Lahey created or collected by Muriel Shaw. It includes:
- Correspondence with Muriel Shaw from the Queensland Art Gallery regarding loan of material for Vida Lahey Retrospective Exhibition, 3 Nov 1988, 22 Nov 1988, 5 Dec 1988, 4 Jun 1990
- Newspaper cuttings; journal articles; small notebook with notes about art classes and painting; handwritten notes; prints; small still life painting, unsigned; correspondence.
- Handwritten account of Vida Lahey as an art teacher by Muriel Shaw, Jul 1982, 7 pages
- Typescript copy (2) of 'The A. B. C. of painting' [by Vida Lahey?], [undated], 3 leaves
- Typescript copy with handwritten additions, of 'The Approach to art through knowledge of its A. B. C. and grammar', [by Vida Lahey?], [undated], 10 leaves
- Letters from Margaret McNeil regarding Daphne Mayo and Vida Lahey, 1 Feb 1983, 18 Jun 1983
- 2 Invitations to 'Children’s creative art by pupils of Vida Lahey and Margaret McNeil', 1952
- Exhibition programs and invitations for Margaret McNeil, 1959 to 1961
Folder 5: Muriel Shaw's notes, example, and newspaper cuttings on batik.
Folder 6: Correspondence to Mr Target, 24 Apr 1953; Correspondence to Mim Shaw from Judith Mckay, 30 Aug 1979; Technical College Hobart reference for Miss M. H. Walker, 5 Dec 1935; Queensland Government Gazette, 12 Nov 1918
Folder 7: On cover of folder 'Commercial art training in 20's and 30's, Arts & Crafts, J. Hart, Church'. Handwritten notes by Mim Shaw on Commercial art training in Brisbane during the 1930s for fashion and domestic objects, furniture etc; and J. Hart.
Folder 8: Two handwritten foolscap pages of biographical notes written by Muriel Shaw about G. I Williamson (Gladys Irene Williamson 1898-1943) and her involvement in commercial art training in Brisbane. Gladys Williamson (also known as Toby Rene Williamson), a former Vida Lahey student, shared a studio with Muriel Shaw in Sydney the 1930s. Two handwritten foolscap pages written by Muriel Shaw about 'Commercial art training in Brisbane during the 1930's for fashion and furniture, etc - as remembered by some younger girls in the late 20's and early 30's'.
Folder 9: Photocopies of biographical material compiled from publications, art catalogues and photographs relating to Muriel Shaw and her relationship with Daphne Mayo and Vida Lahey
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Box 2 Item 1, Folders 1-9
Former reference number
Place access points
Genre access points
Description control area
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation revision deletion
Created, Linda Justo, 1-Nov-2019