Showing 233 results

Archival description
Subseries English
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

The Conversations at Curlow Creek [Novel] (1996)

'The year is 1827, and in a remote hut on the high plains of New South Wales, two strangers spend the night in talk. One, Carney, an illiterate Irishman, ex-convict and bushranger, is to be hanged at dawn. The other, Adair, also Irish, is an officer of the police who has been sent to supervise the hanging. As the night wears on, the two discover unexpected connections between their lives, and learn new truths. Outside the hut, Adair's troopers sit uneasily, reflecting on their own pasts and futures, waiting for the morning to come. With ironic humour and in prose of starkly evocative power, the novel moves between Australia and Ireland to explore questions of nature and justice, reason and un-reason. , the workings of fate, and the small measure of freedom a man may claim in the face of death.' Source: Publisher's blurb (Vintage reprint).
This sub-series contains handwritten and typescript drafts, with emendations.

Voss : Opera in Two Acts After the Novel by Patrick White [Libretto] (1980-1981)

Voss is an opera in two acts based on the novel by Patrick White. The score is by Richard Meale and the libretto by David Malouf. This subseries includes a handwritten outline of Voss, a typescript of the libretto with many handwritten corrections, and a photocopy of the music score, inscribed by Richard Meale to David Malouf.

Malouf, David, 1934-

Marmaduke Alexander Thomas Bell Papers

Material relating to Marmaduke Alexander Thomas Bell. Includes: Photocopy of extract of death certificate of Marmaduke Alexander Thomas Bell, 20 May 1953 [?]. -- Photocopy of will of Marmaduke Alexander Thomas Bell, 20 Mar 1945.

Bell, Marmaduke Alexander Thomas, 1867-1953?

Marmaduke Charles Alexander Bell Papers

Material relating to Marmaduke Charles Alexander Bell. Includes: Photocopy of extract of death certificate for Marmaduke Charles Alexander Bell, 3 Feb 1943. -- Photocopy of estate distribution submitted by Denis de Lacy Moffatt claiming entitlement to one-third share that would have gone to his grandmother Mary Isabella Moffatt's estate, 1946. -- Extracts of the Death Act with accompanying notes. -- Letter to Edmund Kelly from Jack St Ledger, 10 Apr 1921[torn]

Bell, Marmaduke Charles Alexander, 1880-1942

University Colleges, Townsville and Mt Gravatt

In 1957, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Queensland, Professor James Douglas Story, proposed a regional university college be established. This desire came to fruition on 27 February 1961 when the University College of Townsville was opened. This college became the James Cook University of North Queensland on 29 April 1970 and is now known as James Cook University.

In 1965 430 acres of bushland was set aside for a new campus in Brisbane's south in the suburb Nathan. Initially this was to be a University college of the University of Queensland but by September 1971 it was established as Griffith University.

Birrell was asked by the Co-Ordinator General of the Public Works to draw up plans for both colleges. The majority of these plans have the title block for the University of Queensland and James Birrell as the UQ Architect. This subseries contains plans for the University Colleges, Townsville (22 plans) and Mt Gravatt (23 plans).

Birrell, James, 1928-

Job A2 Main Library alterations, University of Queensland

Main Library was part of the Great Court buildings designed by Hennessy and Hennessy in 1935-1936. It consisted of two floors with a glass ceiling in the light well in the centre. Main Building was designed to be extended with an additional three floors, with high ceilings and a large light well in the centre. When the Library had insufficient space for students and books it was decided to go ahead with the extension of three more floors, as specified by Hennessy and Hennessy. Birrell proposed five additional floors instead of the three, the installation of passenger lifts, fluorescent lighting, and air-conditioning. Birrell was responsible for the internal arrangement and finishes. This file comprises 15 plans for alterations and additions to Main Library. Includes: sketch of lower ground floor (now Level 1), working drawings for 1st to 5th floors (now Level 3 to Level 7), stair details and compactus shelving.

Main Library was later known as Undergraduate Library; with the construction of Central Library in 1971 its name was changed to Duhig Building; and later, around 2000, to Duhig Tower.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Results 1 to 10 of 233