Showing 51 results

Archival description
College buildings -- Queensland -- Brisbane -- St. Lucia
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Geology Annexe, Chemistry Annexe and Western Arts Building [Unbuilt]

The Geology Annex, the Chemistry Annexe and the Western Arts Building were part of a master planning concept. They shared the structural and construction concept developed by Birrell and Antony Tod (structural engineer). None of the proposals were built.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Job A43 Geology Annex, University of Queensland [Unbuilt]

The Geology Annex was submitted with the proposals for the Chemistry Annex and the Western Arts Building to the Australian Universities Commission (A.U.C.) in 1965, and rejected. It was to be situated behind the exiting Geology building, along Circular Drive (now named Staff House Road) between the Physics Annex and the bookshop. It was designed with basement, ground and first to fifth floors. It was resubmitted to the A.U.C. in 1966 and rejected again. This file comprises 16 plans for the proposed geology annex, including pilot plans, elevation, perspective views, floor plans for each level, as well a master planning conception drawing, massing considerations drawing and sketches of Geology annex view from Lake, the North East and from within the court (or intimate space as referred to on one of the concept drawings). One pilot plan dated March 1965.

South eastern region of Chemistry Building, University of Queensland [Unbuilt]

The proposed Chemistry Annex was to be situated along Circular Drive (now Staff House Road) sitting in a small vacant piece of land adjacent to two wings of the Chemistry building, beside the bookshop, about where the current Global Change Institute sits. These three plans are of the existing chemistry building and are dated, 3rd, 5th and 7th October 1964.

Proposed Western Arts Building, University of Queensland [Unbuilt]

The Western Arts Building was designed to be geometrically related to the existing surrounding buildings forming a visual relation across Mill Road. It was to sit back from the western end of Main Building (Forgan Smith), linked by a cloister. The pilot plan for the proposed Western Arts Building designed by Birrell was submitted to the Australian Universities Commission (A.U.C.) in 1965 and rejected. Birrell's design was a break from the original design by Hennessy and Hennessy who were eventually commissioned as architects for the Western Arts building (Mitchie Building) on 16 March 1967.

This file consists of 35 plans for proposed New Western Arts building on the St. Lucia campus. Includes: site plans and presentation sketches for floor plans and perspectives.

Job A2 Main Library alterations, University of Queensland

Main Library was part of the Great Court buildings designed by Hennessy and Hennessy in 1935-1936. It consisted of two floors with a glass ceiling in the light well in the centre. Main Building was designed to be extended with an additional three floors, with high ceilings and a large light well in the centre. When the Library had insufficient space for students and books it was decided to go ahead with the extension of three more floors, as specified by Hennessy and Hennessy. Birrell proposed five additional floors instead of the three, the installation of passenger lifts, fluorescent lighting, and air-conditioning. Birrell was responsible for the internal arrangement and finishes. This file comprises 15 plans for alterations and additions to Main Library. Includes: sketch of lower ground floor (now Level 1), working drawings for 1st to 5th floors (now Level 3 to Level 7), stair details and compactus shelving.

Main Library was later known as Undergraduate Library; with the construction of Central Library in 1971 its name was changed to Duhig Building; and later, around 2000, to Duhig Tower.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Union College, University of Queensland : Stages 1 to 5

Union College was built in five stages from June 1964 to March 1974. It consists of three buildings and two landscaped courtyards. It was built in five separately budgeted stages. Each stage included landscaping and an increase in facilities to common areas of the precious stages. The client for the construction was the Union College Council. The site, suggested by Birrell, was a narrow strip of vacant land on the south western corner of the St. Lucia campus bordered by Upland Road, Sir William Macgregor Drive and Oval No. 1. The site had many well established trees and Birrell's design retained almost all of them. There are 6 volumes of architectural drawings, 175 individual drawings making a total of 242 drawings for the Union College. Stage 1 was by James Birrell as University Architect and Stages 2-5 were by James Birrell & Partners.

J.D. Story Administration Building, University of Queensland

Bound presentation volume, cover title J.D. Story Administration Building, University of Queensland, by University Architect J.P. Birrell. There are no job numbers or drawing numbers. Includes the design idea of a separate Senate House date from the first submission to the Australian Universities Commission (A.U.C.).

Birrell, James, 1928-

J.D. Story Administration Building, University of Queensland

Bound presentation volume, cover title J.D. Story Administration Building, University of Queensland, by University Architect J.P. Birrell, first page has 4 x b&w photographs showing similar construction procedures and remaining 17 leaves are coloured architectural plans. Drawings are for stage one; stage two is marked as a future extension. They comprise: site plan; lower ground floor; diagrammatic layout, underfloor service ducts; ground floor; Senate house, ground floor; first floor; second floor; third floor; fourth floor; fifth floor; south elevation; east elevation; north elevation; cross section; typical detail of double hung windows; preliminary sketches showing proposed method of precasting; and sun control, data and analysis. The plans for the different floor levels describe some of the future occupant positions for selected rooms.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Fifth floor

Fifth floor level of the J. D. Story Administration Building, line drawing in ink on tracing paper, undated. Same as colour drawing in bound presentation volume.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Cross section

Cross section of the J. D. Story Administration Building, line drawing in ink on tracing paper, undated. Same as colour drawing in bound presentation volume. Shows all seven floors, the covered way to the Senate House and the Service tunnel under the covered way to the Senate House.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Results 1 to 10 of 51