Showing 191 results

Archival description
Subseries English
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Peter Bell

Transcript copies of speeches by Peter Bell and newspaper cuttings relating to Peter Bell.

Bell, Colin Basil Peter, 1902-1976

Correspondence: Publishers, publishing and copyright

This subseries includes correspondence from Kath Walker’s publishers regarding her publications, and correspondence relating to copyright. Requests from individuals and other organisations to use Kath’s work are included in this subseries, some of which have been addressed to the publishers and some of which have been addressed directly to Kath.

Correspondence: Media organisations

This subseries includes letters from organisations and individuals asking Oodgeroo Noonuccal to appear in programs, provide content, and for permissions to use her literary works for television, film and radio productions.

Correspondence: Authors

This subseries is comprised of correspondence between Kath Walker and other authors. In some cases, letters from literary authors have been kept with other material for contextual reasons. Some letters will contain literary work. Correspondents in this folder include: Faith Bandler; John Beston; Barbara Blackman; Jack Davis; H C (Nugget) Coombs; Geoffrey Dutton; Margaret Diesendorf; Teddy Dugan; Elizabeth Eggleston; Len Fox; Judo Gemes; Al Grassby; Billy Jones; Judith Knowles; Lorna Lippman; Ward McNally; Daisy Marchisotti; Ian Mudie; Jo Nacola; Nancy Norman; Nichio Ochi; Barbara Paulter; Reg Saunders and Lyndall Ryan; Bill Scott; Margaret Shapcott; Ruth Smout; Bill Sutton; Nancy Wills; and Judith Wright.

Moongalba

Moongalba was established on North Stradbroke Island, by Kath Walker as a cultural education centre in 1971 with the aid of the Aboriginal Arts Board administration grants. It was visited extensively by school children, as well as teachers, students, academics, writers and others. Kath Walker was initially granted a twenty-five year lease to the land by the Redland Shire Council; this was later extended to her lifetime. However, she was never granted legal title to the land, despite the support of many influential people. In 1979 Kath Walker prepared a submission to the federal Department of Aboriginal Affairs, requesting financial assistance and support in obtaining title to the land. Her application was never answered.

Agriculture and Entomology Building, University of Queensland

The Co-Ordinator General of State Works originally gave the commission for the University of Queensland Agriculture and Entomology Building (known as Hartley Teakle Building) to Fred Scorer of the firm Scorer and Scorer on 17 March 1966. After Fred Scorer's untimely death in 1966, James Birrell purchased the Scorer and Scorer firm as part of setting up his own practice. He resigned as University Architect in late March 1966. The Co-Ordinator General approved Birrell taking over the commission for the Agriculture and Entomology Building. James Birrell and Partners were the architects for the building. The site chosen for the building was to the north-west of the Great Court on the western side of Mill road. The glass houses and veterinary buildings were built. Mayne Hall, now the UQ Art Museum and the Biological Science Library and Refect were not yet built. Front Drive still ran along the front of Main Building (now Forgan Smith).

The Agriculture and Entomology Building was designed to follow the site contours, was a 'c-shaped plan' and was designed to be built in three separate stages. Each stage was designed to be complete within themselves. Stage 1 was completed in February 1969; Stage 2 in May 1970; and Stage 3 in December 1970.

The subseries consists of plans for the Agriculture and Entomology Building, Stages 1-3, on the University of Queensland St. Lucia campus. It contains preliminary drawings by James Birrell as the University Architect and Master plans by Scorer and Scorer. Stage 1 : Job B7. Stage 2 : Job B7A; Stage 3 : Job B7B. Includes: site plan, floor plans, drainage plans, elevations, sections, roof details, site works, sun control details, window details, stair details, furniture details, seminar rooms, teaching rooms, administrative rooms, staff room details, student rooms, door schedules, perspectives, preliminary plans. Engineering plans Job 3092, 3378, 3398. Electrical engineer Job 1217. Mechanical engineer Job 2040.

James Birrell and Partners

Job A24 Staff House, University of Queensland

On 11 November 1958, Harrison Bryan, University Librarian and Honorary Secretary of the Staff Association communicated to the Registrar of the intention to have Staff House, similar to what existed at other Australian Universities. After Birrell commenced work as the University Architect in July 1961, he produced several designs of varying budgets. However site selection, funding, its low priority and frequent delays in construction did not see the building completed until after Birrell resigned as University Architect in March 1966. The building was completed by his replacement, Mr. K.S. Crump. On 20th April 1966 the club was formally invited to occupy the Staff House. Due to the volume of work done by Birrell, he was offered Honorary Life Membership and the Common Room was renamed the James Birrell Room.
There are five drawings with the Job no. A24, dated 1964. Three drawings are by James Birrell and Partners from 1966, 1971 and 1974. Some drawings have no title block information. Most drawings are by other contractors.

Results 1 to 10 of 191