These papers contain corresondence to Kathleen Campbell-Brown, material relating to the Mary Alexis Macmillan Memorial Fund, the use of interest from the fund to purchase material for the Fryer Library, and material relating to Karl and Gertrude Langer. The papers can be divided into papers relating to the Mary Alexis Macmillan Memorial Fund and papers relating to Karl and Gertrude Langer.
Mary Alexis Macmillan Fund:
Correspondence relating to the Mary Alexis Macmillan Memorial Fund:
• Aerograms, four, from Kathleen L Fryer (cousin of John Denis Fryer), Ipswich, Suffolk, 1970. –
• Betty Patterson, Moorooka, writing about the Mary Alexis Macmillan Memorial Fund, 1970. –
• University Legal Officer, regarding tax deductions of money donated to the fund, 1970. –
• Copy of letter from the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation regarding the John Hardie Lavery Fund and the Mary Alexis Macmillian Memorial Fund, 1970. –
• Alumni Association, inviting Campbell-Brown to the Fryer Library to the handing over by the Committee of the books purchased with the first instalment of interest from the Fund, 24 Nov 1970. –
• Elizabeth S Gilmore, Springsure, 1971. –
• F.D.O. Fielding, University Librarian, with an accompanying list of new books bought from the Fund for the Fryer Library, 29 Sep 1971. –
• Margaret O’Hagan, Senior Librarian, Fryer Library regarding the lithographic negatives for the motif designed for the Mary Alexis Macmillan Memorial Collection book-plate, 23 Jul 1976. –
Papers relating to the Mary Alexis Macmillan Memorial Fund:
• Typescript, Queensland Association of University Women regarding the Fund, by K. Campbell-Brown, Convenor, 2 leaves, 13 Nov 1969. –
• Handwritten note regarding the fund on University of Queensland letterhead, 2 leaves, [undated]. –
• Typescript report, duplicated copy, regarding the establishment of the Fund, signed by Ruth George, for the Committee, 1969. –
• Typescript, 2 copies, both with handwritten emendations, titled “The Mary Alexis Macmillan Memorial Fund”, which includes information about the design of the bookplate to accompany material purchased from the Fund; attached is a handwritten note “article prepared for Courier Mail. It appeared quite different. Monday 19 Nov 1970 KCB”. --
• Newspaper cuttings relating to John Denis Fryer and the Mary Alexis Macmillan memorial Fund, 1970. –
• Letter from C.O.B. Wilson to the Fryer Librarian with a donation to the fund, 19 Nov 1970. –
• Four foolscap leaves, duplicated, listing donations to the Fund, 1970. –
• Enveloped address to Miss K. Campbell-Brown Dept of French, Main Building, with ‘Bookplate’ handwritten on front. It contained: a memorandum to Miss Campbell-Brown, returning the bookplate and a spare print for reproduction in the December Alumni News, signed by Susan Addison, Public Relations and Alumni Office; bookplate reproduction; bookplate; handwritten note with the name of the plant – Xanthorrhoea.
• Bookplate mockup: Drawing by Karl Langer and the wording for the bookplate, stuck together and pasted to the back cover of the manilla folder.
Papers relating to Karl and Gertrude Langer
• Letter from K Langer to the Mayor of Toulouse (in French), 1963. –
• Typescript, ‘Tribute to Dr. Karl Langer’, by Gareth E. Roberts, 2 leaves, accompanied by 2 b&w photographs of Karl Langer, 11 x 9 cm, ca. 1969. --
• Letter, handwritten, 2 leaves, to Mrs [sic] Campbell-Brown, from [indecipherable] Rosse, regarding death of Karl Langer, 23 Nov 1969. –
• Minutes of the Inaugural meeting of the Karl and Gertrude Langer Memorial Committee, 17 Jan 1985. –
• Photocopy of handwritten draft, 4 leaves, for ‘Folio of paintings’, with envelope with initials K.C.B., [undated]. –
• Newspaper cuttings. –
• Article by Betty Churcher from Art and Australia about Gertrude Langer, accompanied by two letters, Nov 1993. –
• Two Christmas cards from Karl and Gertrude Langer to Kathleen Campbell-Brown. --
• Postcard Karl and Gertrude Langer to Kathleen Campbell-Brown. –
• 5 negatives in envelope with ‘for Fryer Library’ handwritten on front. –
• 5 b&w photographs: 2 of Karl Langer, 2 of a church, and 1 of the view of the fountain in the lakes at the University of Queensland St. Lucia Campus.
Campbell-Brown, Kathleen Mildred Jean, 1903-1996
Langer Memorial Committee
The personal papers of Gertrude Langer (1908 – 1984) include diaries, correspondence, photographs, manuscripts and typescripts, notebooks and ephemera, including exhibition catalogues. The papers cover the period 1917 – 1984 including correspondence received between 1918 and 1984. The material from before 1938 includes papers relating to her Art History studies in Vienna and Paris as well as photographs taken during her travels in Europe. From 1929 onwards the papers include correspondence to and from her future husband Karl Langer (married in 1932), as well as photographs of their travels together. Correspondence and records from 1938 and early 1939 document the Langers’ escape from German-annexed Austria. Material after 1939 documents Gertrude Langer’s activities as a private art history educator and as an art critic in Brisbane. This material includes her lecture notes, lists of students attending the classes, printed ephemera, manuscripts and typescripts of her art reviews for the Courier Mail newspaper, as well as annotated exhibition catalogues. The papers also contain Arts Council of Australia and Queensland Art Gallery Society records, as well as material created by her husband Karl Langer. This includes correspondence received by him between 1922 and 1969, staff cards from his architectural firm (1950s), ephemera as well as sketch plans and architectural drawings for the Langers’ residence in St Lucia (1950).
Langer, Gertrude, 1908-1984
Correspondence and documents relating to UQ School of Architecture curriculum, research on Karl Langer and architectural conservation.
Sinnamon, Ian T.