Showing 169 results

Archival description
Subseries
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Correspondence from 1967 to 1988.

Correspondence, enclosures, book jackets, notes on works, mementos and personal papers (e.g. application for Stanford writing scholarship); 1 folder containing letters to Carey and Leigh Weetman from her family (1967-1968).

First Hall of Residence, University College of Townsville, University of Queensland

While working as University Architect for the University of Queensland, the Co-Ordinator General of the Department of Public Works asked Birrell to design the campus plan for the The University College of Townsville. The College, to be an extension college of University of Queensland, was opened in February 1961. Birrell designed several of its early buildings as University of Queensland Architect, including the First Hall of Residence.

Library, University College of Townsville, University of Queensland

While working as University Architect for the University of Queensland, the Co-Ordinator General of the Department of Public Works asked Birrell to design the campus plan for the The University College of Townsville. The College, to be an extension college of University of Queensland, was opened in February 1961. Birrell designed several of its early buildings as University of Queensland Architect.

This subseries has the designs of the University College of Townsville Library (now the Eddie Koiki Mabo Library) by James Birrell and Partners. There are several of the earlier plans in this subseries have University of Queensland in the title block and James Birrell as the University Architect with James Birrell and Partners written above the title block.

Student Union Precinct, University of Queensland

There are two architectural drawings, ink on paper, with the title The Union which may form part of the pilot plans for an extension to The Union Building which Birrell designed in 1962. There are 14 drawings for the Master Planning Report upon the Student Union Precinct University of Queensland, which was produced by Birrell and assistant architect Richard Stringer. This report was submitted to the Buildings and Grounds Committee in March 1966. 12 of these 14 drawings have the University of Queensland title block with J.P. Birrell as University Architect. Included with these drawings, which form part of the master plan for the precinct, are several designs for a Union Theatre. There are two pencil drawings related to the Union Theatre, without title, date, or creators. All plans are undated.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Job A41 Boatshed, University of Queensland

The Boat Club of the University of Queensland was established in 1911. Referred to as a shed in the working drawings, Birrell designed a simple building to function as an amenities building for The Boat Club. These plans were designed for submission to the Australian Universities Commission in 1965. It is located between Sir William Macgregor Drive and the Brisbane River. It is now called the Eric Freeman Boathouse. Eric Freeman, attained a Bachelor of Engineering from the University of Queensland and was a valued member of the Varsity Eight (rowing) from 1921 to 1924. This file includes:
[Item 1] Boat garage sketch plan (May 1964).
[Item 2] Portal frame diagram (29 Feb 1966).
[Item 3] Job no. A41 Boat Shed Working Drawings; 8 architectural drawings; stapled together; numbered sequentially A41/1 to A41/7, with A41/5A; dated Nov 1965; drawn by J. Kershaw; University Architect is J.P. Birrell.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Results 71 to 80 of 169