Nine engineering drawings of the new Victoria Bridge designed in 1893. Alfred Barton Brady was the Government Architect and Engineer for Bridges and designed Victoria bridge in these drawings. His staff that assisted with the engineering work of the bridge included J. S. Murdoch, T. Pye, and W. J. Ewart. Eight of the drawings have the title New Victoria Bridge over the Brisbane River. Brisbane.
The new Victoria Bridge was the fourth bridge to span the Brisbane River at the spot running between Queen Street on the north bank and Melbourne Street on the south bank. The first structure was a temporary wooden bridge, constructed in 1865, which lasted only 2 years. Construction of the first permanent bridge, old Victoria Bridge, had commenced in 1864, but it did not open until 1874, operating as a toll bridge until 1877. Old Victoria Bridge was destroyed by the 1893 floods. A second temporary bridge was built in 1893, with construction of new Victoria Bridge beginning soon after. The second temporary bridge was washed away in floods in 1896, by which time the new Victoria bridge was nearing completion. The new Victoria Bridge opened in 1897, and it remained in service until replaced by the current Victoria Bridge in 1969, at which time the new Victoria Bridge was demolished. One of the stone archways which flanked the pedestrian access to the bridge remains on the south side of the Brisbane River, near the entrance to the South Bank parklands.