Showing 20 resultsArchival description
- UQFL222-Series D-File 3
Seven architectural plans of proposed alterations to the Armstrong, Ledlie and Stillman store on Main Street, Atherton.
- UQFL222-Series D-File 4
Four architectural plans for the new premises at Mossman for Messrs Jack and Newell Pty Ltd. According to one of the plans, it was on the corner of Junction Road and Main Street. (There is no longer a Main Street in Mossman, however it might now be Mill Street). William (Willie) Jack and John Newell opened their own wharf in Port Douglas in 1880. This was the same year Willie Jack opened his first store in Herberton. In 1901 they opened a general store in Mossman, near the Queens Hotel. In the 1930s the Jack and Newell store was rebuilt in concrete block. These plans look like the current building trading as Mossman Home Hardware (on 2 Mill Street).
- UQFL222-Series D-File 5
The original Bolands Centre (which was heritage listed in 2006) was built in 1912-1913 on the corner of Lake and Spence Streets in Cairns. In 1936-1937 the store was extended to the east (along Spence Street). This two-storey extension was designed by Vibert McKirdy Brown. This file consists of thirteen architectural plans for that extension.
- UQFL222-Series D-File 7
The original Jack and Newell's Mareeba store in Mareeba was built after the Cairns-Kuranda railway line was extended in 1893 to Mareeba (then called Granite Creek). With the new railway station came the building of a large Jack and Newell general store. According to the Cairns Post the new bulk store of Jack and Newell was completed in November 1936. There was a Jack and Newell Store on the intersection of Byrnes (possibly originally called Byrne) and Atherton Streets. In the late 1950s the Jack and Newell Store in Mareeba was demolished and rebuilt. This file consists of 9 architectural drawings for the proposed new premises at Mareeba for Jack and Newell Pty Ltd from the mid 1930s. Unable to verify that this the building that was constructed in 1936.
- UQFL222-Series D-File 8
The National Bank of Australasia in Mossman was built in 1935. The architect on the five blueprints in this file is Lange L. Powell. Powell called for tenders in the various newspapers in February 1935 and there are newspaper articles about its completion in December 1935. From 1936 when Powell called for tenders in North Queensland he gave the option of seeing V.M. Brown to view the plans. These 5 plans may have been given to Brown for reference purposes.
Powell, Lange Leopold, 1884-1938
- UQFL222-Series E-File 1
Twenty architectural plans for buildings and additions to the Atherton Hospital. The hospital, which was built in the first decade of the 20th century, is located on the corner of Jack and Louise Streets in Atherton. In 1922 fund raising enabled the Committee of the Atherton District Hospital to decide of architectural plans for the building of new brick memorial wards to commemorate the Tablelands fallen men. These plans were designed by V.M. Brown. Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, Brown drew plans for new buildings and additions for Atherton Hospitals Board.