Print preview Close

Showing 169 results

Archival description
Subseries
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Godfrey Rivers Trust Records

Daphne Mayo was a foundation trustee of the Godfrey Rivers Trust. Daphne Mayo, former student of Rivers, was the main buyer for most of the works acquired by the Trust for the Queensland National Art Gallery (now the Queensland Art Gallery). This subseries includes newspaper cuttings, legal and financial records, details and notes on competitions, and correspondence. The correspondence (137 letters, 14 telegrams) relating to the Godfrey Rivers Trust. Correspondence from Godfrey Rivers and Selina (Ina) Rivers to Mayo including letters of introduction for Mayo by Rivers while she is in Europe. Additional letters by Ina Rivers are held elsewhere in this collection. Letters are from 1912 to 1965, and some undated. Not all years have correspondence.

Godfrey Rivers Trust

Correspondence, General

Correspondence from government departments, Society of Artists, exhibition organisers, galleries, lawyers, dentists, real estate agents, and more.

Correspondence, Friends and family

Over 1220 letters, postcards, cards, lettercards and telegrams from friends and family (other than Daphne Mayo's parents). Correspondents include: Lloyd Rees, some with or by his wife, Majorie Rees; Vida Lahey; Edith Lahey; Dr Christine Rivett; Walter Taylor; Nell Mary Lette Hubble; Mim Shaw; and Ina Rivers.

Correspondence from Parents, Bill and Lila Mayo

William McArthur Mayo (Bill) and Eliza Mary (Lila), née Saxelby corresponded frequently with their daughter Daphne. Sometimes both parents would write individual letters to Daphne on the same day, at other times they would each write in the same letter, and they would also write to her individually. There are approximately 1422 items of correspondence in this subseries dating from 1919 to 1959. Bill would often write about financial matters including Daphne's rental property in Brisbane. Occasionally Lilia would get the date wrong and, if discernible, this date has been corrected in pencil on the letter. As Lila's health deteriorated, her handwritten became more difficult to read.

Mayo, William McArthur, 1868-1954

J.D. Story Building, University of Queensland

Prior to the construction of the J.D. Story Administration Building, University administration facilities had been housed within Main Building (now know as the Forgan Smith Building). Main Building had undergone many alterations in response to the changing needs of the university administration. In 1959 the Senate decided a new Administration Building should be built. Other building priorities delayed designs being drawn up. In 1962 plans were submitted to the Australian Universities Commission (A.U.C.). Changes requested by the A.U.C. delayed construction which was to be a two stage process: Stage One was completed in October 1965 and Stage Two in October 1966. Plans include: site plans, window details, detail of senate table, floor plans, electrical services plans, roof plans.

There are 6 volumes (sets/presentation volume/office copy sets) with plans as well as individual plans; the total number of plans for this building in this subseries are 281. Not all have been created by James Birrell.

Dental School, University of Queensland

The University of Queensland Faculty of Dentistry was formed in 1935 and was located at various locations throughout the city including Turbot Street. In the early 1960s there was a desire to have the Dental School transferred from its location in Turbot Street to the St. Lucia campus with Birrell writing a report in favour of this is in 1964. However the Australian Universities Commission did not support this idea. Rather they offered money to extend the Turbot Street facilities and to use space within the Physiology Building to house preclinical training. The new dental school at St. Lucia campus was not built.

University Colleges, Townsville and Mt Gravatt

In 1957, the Vice Chancellor of the University of Queensland, Professor James Douglas Story, proposed a regional university college be established. This desire came to fruition on 27 February 1961 when the University College of Townsville was opened. This college became the James Cook University of North Queensland on 29 April 1970 and is now known as James Cook University.

In 1965 430 acres of bushland was set aside for a new campus in Brisbane's south in the suburb Nathan. Initially this was to be a University college of the University of Queensland but by September 1971 it was established as Griffith University.

Birrell was asked by the Co-Ordinator General of the Public Works to draw up plans for both colleges. The majority of these plans have the title block for the University of Queensland and James Birrell as the UQ Architect. This subseries contains plans for the University Colleges, Townsville (22 plans) and Mt Gravatt (23 plans).

Birrell, James, 1928-

Job E9 Biological Marine Research Station, Heron Island

Comprises 16 drawings from Mar to Nov 1973 for Job E9 Biological Marine Research Station, Heron Island. These drawings were undertaken by James Birrell & Partners. Drawings include: working drawings for proposed laboratory block at Heron Island for Roche Products (10 drawings); working drawings for proposed cabins (4) at Heron Island for the University of Queensland (Affiliated with the Great Barrier Reef Committee) (5 drawings); and working drawing for workshop and fuel store.

James Birrell and Partners

New Industrial Centre at University of Queensland St. Lucia.

Contains 22 plans for the Contract drawing, New Industrial Centre at University of Queensland St. Lucia. Brisbane for the Co-Ordinator General's Dept, (Oct 1963), and includes: site and drainage plan, floor plans, roof plan, elevations, concrete details, steel details, furniture details, and the Gardener's Shed (Nov 1963). The drawings were done by James P. Birrell in association with Peter D. Heathwood. The plans for the industrial centre included the Maintenance shops, printery, amenities and transport building. It is located on the corner of Services Road and Hood Street. The Gardener's Shed is located on the other side of Hood Street.

Birrell, James, 1928-

Results 141 to 150 of 169