Showing 176 results

Archival description
Subseries
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Job A24 Staff House, University of Queensland

On 11 November 1958, Harrison Bryan, University Librarian and Honorary Secretary of the Staff Association communicated to the Registrar of the intention to have Staff House, similar to what existed at other Australian Universities. After Birrell commenced work as the University Architect in July 1961, he produced several designs of varying budgets. However site selection, funding, its low priority and frequent delays in construction did not see the building completed until after Birrell resigned as University Architect in March 1966. The building was completed by his replacement, Mr. K.S. Crump. On 20th April 1966 the club was formally invited to occupy the Staff House. Due to the volume of work done by Birrell, he was offered Honorary Life Membership and the Common Room was renamed the James Birrell Room. Demolished in 2021.

There are five drawings with the Job no. A24, dated 1964. Three drawings are by James Birrell and Partners from 1966, 1971 and 1974. Some drawings have no title block information. Most drawings are by other contractors.

Bookshop, University of Queensland

Located between the Great Court buildings and Circular Drive (now Staff House Road), the Bookshop was built in 1957. In September 1963 Birrell, as University Architect, design a small internal refit of which there is one drawing in this subseries: Job/Sheet no. A4/33. Further additions and alterations to the Bookshop were designed by James Birrell and Partners in 1970-1972 ( Job no. B97 and unnumbered drawings), and these make up the bulk of the drawings in this subseries as well as some done in collaboration with contractors.

Job A41 Boatshed, University of Queensland

The Boat Club of the University of Queensland was established in 1911. Referred to as a shed in the working drawings, Birrell designed a simple building to function as an amenities building for The Boat Club. These plans were designed for submission to the Australian Universities Commission in 1965. It is located between Sir William Macgregor Drive and the Brisbane River. It is now called the Eric Freeman Boathouse. Eric Freeman, attained a Bachelor of Engineering from the University of Queensland and was a valued member of the Varsity Eight (rowing) from 1921 to 1924. This file includes:
[Item 1] Boat garage sketch plan (May 1964).
[Item 2] Portal frame diagram (29 Feb 1966).
[Item 3] Job no. A41 Boat Shed Working Drawings; 8 architectural drawings; stapled together; numbered sequentially A41/1 to A41/7, with A41/5A; dated Nov 1965; drawn by J. Kershaw; University Architect is J.P. Birrell.

Birrell, James, 1928-

General financial records

General financial records including correspondence, receipts, bank statements, cheque and deposit books, tax returns.

Writings of Vida Lahey

Two folders of handwritten notes, in pencil, determined to be by Vida Lahey.

Lahey, Vida, 1882-1968

Correspondence: Publishers, publishing and copyright

This subseries includes correspondence from Kath Walker’s publishers regarding her publications, and correspondence relating to copyright. Requests from individuals and other organisations to use Kath’s work are included in this subseries, some of which have been addressed to the publishers and some of which have been addressed directly to Kath.

Results 1 to 10 of 176