Showing 8 results

Archival description
Steele, John Gladstone English
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

Brisbane Town, 1824-1842

  • F1397
  • Item
  • 1972

Submitted to University of Queensland Press 1972. These volumes have author's corrections & addenda to 1974. Published by the University of Queensland Press in 1975. Accompanied by reader's report by Roger Joyce 1972, with covering letter to Dr Steele from Frank Thompson.

Steele, John Gladstone

Bishopsbourne : a visitors' guide prepared for the visit of the National Trust of Queensland, 21 Oct. 1973 / by J. G. Steele.

  • F3595
  • Item
  • 1973

Includes brief historical summary with acknowledgment to Neville Lund, and annotated floor plan of the building.
Bishopsbourne was the home of the Anglican Bishops and Archibishops of Brisbane from 1868 to 1964. Old Bishopsbourne [now St Francis Theological College] includes a 1912 Robin Dods designed stone chapel, 1930s terracing and a number of buildings associated with St Francis Theological College Milton [from 1936]. It is significant historically as one of the oldest ecclesiastical precincts in Queensland. The two-storeyed stone residence was constructed by architect Benjamin Backhouse in 1865-68 for Edward Tufnell, the first Anglican Bishop of Brisbane.

Steele, John Gladstone

J. G. Steele Papers

  • UQFL407
  • Collection
  • 1969-1972.

Manuscript copy of 'The explorers of the Moreton Bay district, 1770-1830' (published by UQP in 1972), page proofs, readers' reports, and correspondence with Dr. J.C. Beaglehole re: his writing of the foreword.

Steele, John Gladstone