File FTPF48 - Tivoli Theatre (Sydney) Theatre Program File

Identity area

Reference code

FTPF48

Title

Tivoli Theatre (Sydney) Theatre Program File

Date(s)

Level of description

File

Extent and medium

1 folder ; 30 cm.

Context area

Name of creator

(1893-1929)

Administrative history

There were two venues in Sydney that carried the name of the Tivoli Theatre. This one sited at 79-83A Castlereagh Street started its life as the Olympic Circus in 1851. By 1852 the venue had been converted to a theatre and by 1854 was known as the Royal Albert Theatre. Between the 1860s and the 1890s the building was known as the Scandinavian Music Hall, St James Hall, Sullivans Athletic Hall, Victoria Hall and The Academy of Music. The building was demolished in 1890 and the Garrick Theatre was erected. Harry Rickards took up the lease of the Garrick Theatre in Castlereagh Street on February 18, 1893 and renamed it, The Tivoli Theatre. In early 1899, Rickards bought the freehold title of the site, but in September that year, the Tivoli Theatre burnt to the ground. Rickards immediately rebuilt his theatre. It only took eighteen weeks for architect Backhouse and Backhouse and builder Alexander Stuart to design and build. The new theatre was built out of sandstone and decorated in colours of turquoise, cream, gold, silver and light grey with terracotta tints. A hotel was associated with the theatre with the entrance towards Castlereagh Street. According to Valentine Day who attended the opening of the new theatre on April 12 1900, it was a place of unobstructed views and unrestricted acoustics. Rickards had established the "Tivoli Circuit" company which performed between Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide and Perth. Rickards died in 1911 and although managed and leased by firstly HD McIntosh, then JC Williamsons, the theatre was closed as a live venue in 1928 and functioned as a cinema until it ended its days as the Embassy Cinema and was demolished in the 1960s.

Name of creator

Administrative history

Name of creator

(1843-1911)

Biographical history

Archival history

From the Fryer Library Theatre Programs.

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

This series contains material such as theatre programs, concert notes, invitations and ephemeral items relating to Australian theatres. Olympic Circus 1851-1852, Royal Albert Theatre 1854, Scandinavian Music Hall, St James Hall, Sulivans Athletic Hall, Victoria Hall, The Academy of Music 1860-1890, Garrick Theatre 1890-1893, Tivoli Theatre 1893-1929, Embassy Cinema, 1934-1960.
Harry Rickard's Tivoli Theatre.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Unrestricted access.

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Migrated

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Migrated from LMS: April 2019, P.A.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area