The Queensland Section of the Fellowship of Australian Writers had its genesis in the Queensland Authors and Artists' Association (QAAA), formed in Brisbane in 1921. Founding members included A.H. Davis (aka Steele Rudd), poet Constance Gittins and Dr Francis Cumbrae Stewart, later appointed Professor of Law at the University of Queensland. In 1928 Davis, Mary Gilmore, John le Gay Brereton and others met in Sydney to form a national body that would foster and promote Australian writing. The new group was launched as the Fellowship of Australian Writers and the QAAA became its Queensland branch, formally adopting the title Fellowship of Australian Writers, Queensland Section, in November 1958. Over the years the FAW(Q) attracted both established and aspiring writers and played a significant role in literary events such as the Warana Writers' Festival. It worked fraternally with other local organisations, most notably the Realist Writers' Group and the Brisbane Writers' Group which amalgamated with it in 1970. An affiliated writers' fellowship was formed in Redcliffe in February 1964.